A sensory cell or organ responsive to chemical stimuli.
- For this reason, we would not expect this to cause stimulation of the chemoreceptors, which would affect autonomic modulation.
- A variety of inputs from chemoreceptors and mechanoreceptors can contribute to the arousal response that terminates a period of apnea in OSA patients.
- The central hydrogen ion chemoreceptors are somewhat redundant, sensing the same stimulus as the carotid bodies.
- Example sentences
- Leusen initiated the modern investigation of central chemoreception in 1950, using perfusion of the cerebral ventricles with artificial cerebrospinal fluid in anesthetized dogs.
- Chemical stimuli obtained during chemoreception can be used by animals to modify numerous essential behaviors, including foraging, predator avoidance, reproduction, orientation, and aggression.
- Owing to its participation in two separate functions, feeding and chemoreception, the tongue is the locus of a clear functional trade-off.
Definition of chemoreceptor in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.