Definition of chemotaxis in English:
Movement of a motile cell or organism, or part of one, in a direction corresponding to a gradient of increasing or decreasing concentration of a particular substance.
- They may stimulate different functions including angiogenesis, enzyme production, cell migration, chemotaxis, and cellular proliferation.
- This mechanism gives the bacterium its ability to follow the gradient of chemical concentration, i.e., chemotaxis.
- About 50 genes are involved in cell motility and chemotaxis.
- Example sentences
- In general, chemotactic and phagocytic responses are significantly reduced.
- The biochemistry and structural biology of the chemotactic phosphorelay is now understood in some detail.
- Besides resulting in a loss of barrier and secretory function, such damage elicits the production of chemotactic cytokines, leading to further inflammation.
Definition of chemotaxis in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia