Entry from British & World English dictionary
Definition of chervonets in English:
noun (plural chervontsy)
1A pre-Revolutionary Russian gold coin, worth three roubles.
- Sixty-six foreign chervonets [gold pieces of Dutch, Italian, or Austrian origin] were used for gilding.
- The Russian envoy procured an analogous sum of 5000 chervonets from Augustus III for the Polish Confederates.
1.1A currency note introduced by the Bolsheviks in 1922, worth ten roubles.
- In 1924 the exchange rate of the new soviet karbovanets against the chervonets was set equal to 1: 10.
- The chervonets completely ousted ‘sovznaks’ from circulation becoming by 1924 the only currency.
- Coins began to be issued again in 1924, whilst paper money was issued in rubles for values below 10 rubles and in chervonets for higher denominations.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.