1A sofa with padded arms and a back of the same height and curved outward at the top.
- View the contrasting styles: traditional chesterfields, contemporary, class and rustic.
- Come sit here,’ Maggie said, indicating the space beside her on the chesterfield.
- I walk around and pick the blue chesterfield to sit on.
1.1chiefly Canadian Any sofa or couch.
- The fashion and mood of the era are evoked by Willis' third choice, a rust-coloured angular chesterfield with reversible armrests.
- Becca and I walked into a comfortable room with plush chesterfield and warm furniture.
- They were sitting - well, she supposed that up until a moment ago she'd been more sprawled than seated - on the red velvet chesterfield that matched the trim on the oversized leather chairs.
mid 19th century (sense 2): named after a 19th-century Earl of Chesterfield.