Definition of chevron in English:
1A line or stripe in the shape of a V or an inverted V, especially one on the sleeve of a uniform indicating rank or length of service.
- On his sleeve was the chevron of a petty officer.
- Along with the Badge of Military Merit in the summer of 1782, Washington also authorized a chevron for enlisted personnel signifying each three years of satisfactory service.
- Those veterans who were authorized by Army Regulations 600-95 to wear wound chevrons could apply for the new award.
1.1 Heraldry An ordinary in the form of a broad inverted V-shape.
- The dining-room of this old house is decorated with a coat of arms, chevrons, and bars rouge upon a field argent, which prove, upon inquiry, to be the shield of Nicholas de la Reynie, a high official of King Louis XIV.
Words that rhyme with chevronrhododendron
Definition of chevron in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan