adjective (chicer, chicest)
Elegantly and stylishly fashionable.
- The management of this chic Fifth Avenue fashion store had dared to rearrange the artist's installation.
- No other country in the world, they say, has such a dazzling array of chic fashion on offer.
- The classy curls, gels, trendy perms, and chic colours have not seemed to inspire us!
stylish, elegant, sophisticated, dressy, smart;
fashionable, high-fashion, fashion-forward, in vogue, up-to-date, up-to-the-minute, contemporary, à la mode, chi-chi, au courant;
dapper, dashing, trim
informal trendy, with it, happening, snappy, snazzy, modish, styling/stylin', du jour, in, funky, natty, swish, fly, spiffy, kicky, tony
Stylishness and elegance, typically of a specified kind: French chic biker chic
More example sentences
- His clothes are an example of how young designers emphasize chic yet maintain an urban sensibility.
- It is a deliberate attempt to be different, a blatant statement that the cars are for the discerning driver who loves designer chic.
- Suddenly, he's the older man and those grey hairs speak years, rather than designer chic.
- Example sentences
- He is fantastic, and his cautionary sentiments about war are warmly supported by the newly and chicly democratic audience.
- Seen in profile, the self-possessed Peter gazes contemplatively to her right, while the self-portrayed Brooks stares out with steely eyes hooded by the shadows of an imposing, chicly butch hat.
- Underwear with suspender elastic hanging off may have looked chicly fetishistic on the women but positively frightful on the men.
Mid 19th century: from French, probably from German Schick 'skill'.
Adopted from French, chic ‘elegantly fashionable’ is probably from German Schick ‘skill’.
Words that rhyme with chicantique, batik, beak, bespeak, bezique, bleak, boutique, cacique, caïque, cheek, clique, creak, creek, critique, Dominique, eke, freak, geek, Greek, hide-and-seek, keek, Lalique, leak, leek, Martinique, meek, midweek, Mozambique, Mustique, mystique, oblique, opéra comique, ortanique, peak, Peake, peek, physique, pique, pratique, reek, seek, shriek, Sikh, sleek, sneak, speak, Speke, squeak, streak, teak, technique, tongue-in-cheek, tweak, unique, veronique, weak, week, wreak
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.