1A hawk of a type that is reputed to prey on domestic fowl.
- A chicken-hawk flew down onto one of the burnt tree stumps.
- There was no one to overhear them save a speckled chicken hawk circling lazily on the updraft from the mountain.
- Red-tailed hawks are returning. They are also called chicken hawks although they normally eat more rodents, woodchucks, and rabbits than chickens.
2 informal A person who speaks out in support of war, yet has avoided active military service.
- Voter chose the chickenhawk over the war hero.
- What amazes me is how the current chicken hawks have conned America about how patriotic they are.
- Like every other member of the group, we evaded the war in Vietnam. Some people see an ethical problem in this; they refer to us as chicken hawks.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: chick·en hawk
Definition of chicken hawk in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.