Definition of chicory in English:
noun (plural chicories)
1A blue-flowered Mediterranean plant of the daisy family, cultivated for its edible salad leaves and carrot-shaped root.
- Cichorium intybus, family Compositae
- I usually make a chicory salad for afterwards, something crisp and slightly bitter.
- Cut the base off the chicory and remove any damaged outer leaves.
- He served salads of dandelion and strips of bacon, or chicory with garlic and croutons.
1.1The root of the chicory plant, which is roasted and ground for use as an additive to or substitute for coffee.
- I am including roasted chicory in the list of exempted items as coffee itself is free from excise duty.
- This herbal coffee is made from a blend of herbs, grains, fruits and nuts like chicory root, roasted carob and figs.
- The café is considered to be the home of beignet and chicory coffee.
Definition of chicory in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan