Definition of chief justice in English:
1(The title of) the presiding judge in a supreme court.
- The Senate assembles as a court to try the president, with the Supreme Court chief justice acting as a judge without voting powers.
- The Supreme Court chief justice only presides over the trial, he cannot vote when the case is up for resolution.
- It will be presided over by the Supreme Court chief justice, who will act as the judge.
1.1 (Chief Justice of the United States) (The formal title of) the chief justice of the US Supreme Court.
- The Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court said: ‘Some current nominees have been waiting a considerable time for a Senate Judiciary Committee vote or a final floor vote.’
- The Senate has confirmed him as Chief Justice of the United States.
- Applications are heard and either denied or granted by a special court composed of seven Federal district court judges designated by the Chief Justice of the United States.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia