Definition of chigoe in English:
A tropical flea, the female of which burrows and lays eggs beneath the host’s skin, causing painful sores. Also called chigger, sand flea.
- Tunga penetrans, family Tungidae
- He's blasé about all the usual stuff - typhoid fever, malaria, chigoes, bots, scabies, and leeches.
- This widespread myth has its origin in the southern states where pests with similar names such as jigger flea or the chigoes do attack by burrowing under skin.
- The ‘committee’ sat on rough logs, ranged on the sand in the open building; and we had carefully to examine our feet for chigoes and exterminate them after each sitting.
mid 17th century: from French chique, from a West African language.
Definition of chigoe in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan