Definition of chigoe in English:
A tropical flea, the female of which burrows and lays eggs beneath the host’s skin, causing painful sores. Also called chigger, sand flea.
- Tunga penetrans, family Tungidae
- He's blasé about all the usual stuff - typhoid fever, malaria, chigoes, bots, scabies, and leeches.
- This widespread myth has its origin in the southern states where pests with similar names such as jigger flea or the chigoes do attack by burrowing under skin.
- The ‘committee’ sat on rough logs, ranged on the sand in the open building; and we had carefully to examine our feet for chigoes and exterminate them after each sitting.
mid 17th century: from French chique, from a West African language.
Definition of chigoe in:
- British & World English dictionary