A painful, itching swelling on the skin, typically on a hand or foot, caused by poor circulation in the skin when exposed to cold.
- As a cream or ointment, it can be applied directly to bruises, sprains, strains, chilblains or painful varicose veins - but only on unbroken skin.
- He carried on working to the end - dressed in the high starched collar and cravat of his youth and dispensing old-fashioned remedies, medicines, and cures which he prepared himself, for ailments as diverse as bronchitis and chilblains.
- To prevent chilblains, avoid exposure to cold.
- Example sentences
- With Spartan fortitude he had to squeeze his chilblained feet into wet socks and soggy boots frozen solid.
- Consequently, this will result in chilblained or frostbitten hands, feet, and ears.
- Just ask the chilblained citizens of Minnesota.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of chilblain in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.