Definition of chinaberry in English:
noun (plural chinaberries)
1A tall tree of the mahogany family native to Asia and Australasia, bearing fragrant lilac flowers and yellow berries. It has become naturalized in parts of North America.
- Melia azedarach, family Meliaceae
- On one side it was anchored by a huge chinaberry tree, on the other by a towering mimosa.
- Our neighbor has one chinaberry tree in the front, but all we have is grey dirt.
- Comanche Lookout Park hosts combinations of ashe juniper, Texas and Mexican buckeye, as well as chinaberry, graneno, Lindheimer hackberry, honey mesquite, huisache, and more.
1.1The fruit of the chinaberry tree, used as beads and to make insecticides: a rosary made of chinaberries
More example sentences
- Among his choices were olive, lemon, lime, apricot, peach, and chinaberry.
- In the vicinity of Dothan, Alabama, bluejays are often called "roller birds," because when chinaberries are ripe, they sit in the trees and gorge themselves on chinaberries until they grow drunk.
- In the Southeast, chinaberries and blackberries are most popular.
Definition of chinaberry in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.