Definition of chincherinchee in English:
A white-flowered South African lily.
- Ornithogalum thyrsoides, family Liliaceae
- During the war it became an annual habit to travel to a hill just outside the village to pick chincherinchees or snowdrops as they were known.
- One of the common names of this flower is chincherinchees.
- The giant chincherinchee is an attractive, easily cultivated garden plant and produces eye-catching, long-lasting flowers that are very suitable for as cut flowers.
early 20th century: imitative of the squeaky sound made by rubbing its stalks together.
Definition of chincherinchee in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia