- Printed multicolored cotton fabric with a glazed finish, used especially for curtains and upholstery: a sofa upholstered in chintz [as modifier]: floral chintz curtainsMore example sentences
- In addition, ‘Tropiques,’ a polyester/cotton printed chintz, is going into more bedding and draperies.
- Fabrics varied, and included calendared or glazed fabrics of wool, plain or floral printed calicos and muslins, and glazed chintz monochrome or polychrome prints.
- Typical of fine Indian chintz, the cotton is not printed, but mordant-painted and resistdyed.
early 17th century (as chints, plural of chint, denoting a stained or painted calico cloth imported from India): from Hindi chīṃṭ 'spattering, stain'.
More definitions of chintzDefinition of chintz in:
- The British & World English dictionary