Definition of chipping sparrow in English:
A common American songbird related to the buntings, with a chestnut crown and a white stripe over the eye.
- Spizella passerina, family Emberizidae (subfamily Emberizinae)
- I can hear the songs of migrating birds: phoebes, white-throated sparrows, towhees, catbirds, chipping sparrows.
- Remember, though, if you think you have 50 song birds daily or 20 chipping sparrows, you should polish your binoculars, review your field guide and take a second look!
- Blue Jays and crows seem to have moved in of late, overpowering the persistent chirps of the chipping sparrows and resident cardinals.
early 19th century: chipping from chip 'chirp', with reference to the bird's repetitive chirping song.
Definition of chipping sparrow in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan