Definition of chiral in English:
Asymmetric in such a way that the structure and its mirror image are not superimposable. Chiral compounds are typically optically active; large organic molecules often have one or more chiral centers where four different groups are attached to a carbon atom.
- Most alkaloids are also chiral molecules, meaning they have nonsuperimposable mirror images.
- The resulting chiral nematic giant liquid crystals had wide temperature ranges for their liquid crystal phases, from room temperature to about 80° Celsius.
- The most common examples of chiral molecules are enantiomers.
- Example sentences
- Such isomers are called enantiomers and molecules that have enantiomers are said to be chiral or to show chirality.
- All of this is achieved without switching the chirality of the catalyst.
- The technique might also be used to template the growth of complex molecular structures with novel architecture and chirality.
Definition of chiral in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan