Definition of chirography in English:
Handwriting, especially as distinct from typography.
- It does, indeed contribute to render spoken discourse more effective, but so does elegant chirography or clear typography improve the effectiveness of written thought.
- The picturesque, to be sure, is equally deficient in his chirography and in his poetical productions.
- As can be seen, even the adequate classification of chirography in relation to other picture signs, or other tracings on surfaces, remains a task for the future.
- Example sentences
- In Orality and Literacy, Ong is careful to trace distinctions between oral, chirographic, manuscript, and print culture.
- That is, all knowledge is mediated via either typographic or chirographic words on a page, or even on a screen.
- As Caesar complains, a move to a chirographic culture changes how that culture views and uses memory.
Words that rhyme with chirographyautobiography, bibliography, biography, cardiography, cartography, choreography, chromatography, cinematography, cosmography, cryptography, demography, discography, filmography, geography, hagiography, historiography, hydrography, iconography, lexicography, lithography, oceanography, orthography, palaeography (US paleography), photography, radiography, reprography, stenography, topography, typography
Definition of chirography in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia