- They would also have used tools such as planes, axes, adzes, draw knives, wedges, knives, chisels, hammers, mallets, awls, gouges, and spoon augers (a type of drill).
- This type of leather craft involves hand tools like a chisel and hammer to create intricate designs.
- Carpenters had mallets, hammers, drills, chisels, scrapers, planes, and copper saws at their disposal.
verb (chisels, chiseling, chiseled ; British chisels, chiselling, chiselled)[with object]
- Way back in the early days of the last century it was chiselled into shape in Pairc Mor Wood or Garrdha Chill.
- Two huge standing Buddhas were chiselled into the cliff more than 1,500 years ago in the central Bamiyan Valley on the ancient Silk Route linking Europe and Central Asia.
- Then he chips and chisels the block, carving out the small figurines.
- On our job the pay rate for new construction was significantly higher than for repairs, so the company chiseled us by classifying everything as repairs.
- Do you think you can chisel me out of a fortune and then prance over here and try me on like a secondhand suit?
- Remember, if you to try to chisel me here I'm gonna slice you up.
- Example sentences
- It's chiselers and cheats and the whole thing makes me sick.
- Then it was placed before the court to decide who should support the little chiseller, or the Scandinavian equivalent.
- Well the problem with the minimum wage and Mr Howard is that Mr Howard is the chief chiseller.
scissors from Late Middle English:
Scissors is from Old French cisoires, from late Latin cisoria, the plural of cisorium ‘cutting instrument’. The prefix cis- here is a variant of caes-, from caedere ‘to cut’, a variant also found in chisel (Late Middle English). The spelling with sc- occurred in the 16th century by association with the Latin sciss- from scinder ‘to cut’.
Words that rhyme with chiseldrizzle, fizzle, frizzle, grizzle, mizzle, sizzle, swizzle, twizzle
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.