- A widely cultivated small Eurasian plant related to the onion, with purple-pink flowers and dense tufts of long tubular leaves that are used as a culinary herb: freshly chopped chives (as modifier chive) chive and garlic dressing
More example sentences
- Allium schoenoprasum, family Liliaceae (or Alliaceae)
- For fresh flavorings this summer, plant basil, chives, cilantro, oregano, parsley, rosemary, sage, and thyme.
- Just the thought of fresh bunches of coriander, basil, chives, spring onions and mint at my doorstep makes me all giddy with excitement.
- Choose five of the following fresh herbs: flat-leaf parsley, chives, mint, chervil, basil, dill, tarragon.
Middle English: from Old French, dialect variant of cive, from Latin cepa 'onion'.
More definitions of chivesDefinition of chives in:
- The British & World English dictionary