A colorless crystalline solid made from chloral and used as a sedative.
- Chemical formula: CCl3CH(OH)2
More example sentences
- The two most commonly used sedatives were chloral hydrate and chloral hydrate plus hydroxyzine.
- The primary active metabolite, trichloroethanol, may have more sedative activity than chloral hydrate.
- Sedative drugs such as diazepam or chloral hydrate have been given rectally or orally to ease pain and anxiety, but these medications have a slow onset and variable effects.
Definition of chloral hydrate in:
- The British & World English dictionary