- A tranquilizer of the benzodiazepine group, used chiefly to treat anxiety and alcoholism. Also called Librium ( • trademark ).More example sentences
- Long-acting benzodiazepines such as chlordiazepoxide and diazepam are preferred because they are the most effective in preventing alcohol withdrawal seizures and delirium.
- Generally, a longer-acting benzodiazepine such as chlordiazepoxide is used, and the initial dosage is titrated downward according to blood pressure elevation, pulse rate, temperature and psychotic symptoms.
- The group of drugs known as benzodiazepines includes alprazolam, chlordiazepoxide, diazepam, and lorazepam (Ativan).
More definitions of chlordiazepoxideDefinition of chlordiazepoxide in:
- The British & World English dictionary