A dark green mineral consisting of a basic hydrated aluminosilicate of magnesium and iron. It occurs as a constituent of many metamorphic rocks, typically forming flat crystals resembling mica.
- The clay minerals illite, chlorite and montmorillonite were identified within the palaeosols by X-ray diffraction.
- These planes, referred to as slaty cleavage, are caused by the rearrangement of minerals such as mica, chlorite, and clay within the rock.
- No metamorphic mineral growth, besides chlorite and white mica growth and quartz recrystallization, is found within the matrix of the melange, precluding burial to significant depths.
- Example sentences
- The fragments are angular and the feldspar fragments fresh, although there are considerable amounts of chloritic alteration products.
- Shallow pits were excavated, and several small datolite nodules were recovered that had a somewhat almond shape and a dark black chloritic rind.
- This datolite conforms to the outline of the vesicles, and the rim or rinds of the masses are semismooth and usually coated with a dark green to black chloritic mineral.
Words that rhyme with chloriteforthright • downright
A salt of chlorous acid, containing the anion ClO2.
- Furthermore, GAC filtration has been reported to efficiently remove chlorites.
- Sodium chlorite, hypochlorite, perborate, and peroxide are used to bleach paper, cotton, and rayon.
- Thus, perchlorate ion is a stronger oxidant than chlorate ion, followed by chlorite ion and hypochlorite ion.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan