- Any of a class of compounds of carbon, hydrogen, chlorine, and fluorine, typically gases used in refrigerants and aerosol propellants. They are harmful to the ozone layer in the earth’s atmosphere owing to the release of chlorine atoms upon exposure to ultraviolet radiation.More example sentences
- Their research teams subsequently carried out experiments in the atmosphere that supported their hypothesis, leading to a worldwide effort to reduce the release of chlorofluorocarbons into the atmosphere.
- Since excess chlorofluorocarbons have been released into the atmosphere, the protecting stratospheric ozone layer has decreased and humans and animals are exposed to increased ultraviolet radiation.
- And today we will add 2,700 tons of chlorofluorocarbons to the atmosphere and 15 million tons of carbon.
More definitions of chlorofluorocarbonDefinition of chlorofluorocarbon in:
- The British & World English dictionary