- A flagellated cell with a collar of protoplasm at the base of the flagellum, numbers of which line the internal chambers of sponges.More example sentences
- Water movement is driven by the beating of flagellae, which are located on specialized cells called choanocytes (collar cells).
- Sponge cells called choanocytes each project a minuscule filament.
- Particles are caught in the collar part of the choanocyte cells.
late 19th century: from Greek khoanē 'funnel' + -cyte.
More definitions of choanocyteDefinition of choanocyte in:
- The British & World English dictionary