- A North American cherry with an edible astringent fruit that is more palatable when cooked.
More example sentences
- Prunus virginiana, family Rosaceae
- They picked wild service berries, choke cherries, and buffalo or bull berries in the fall, and gathered the bark of the cottonwood tree, enjoying its sweet interior.
- Astringency is removed by cooking, and choke cherries make tasty pie-fillings, sauces and wine.
- Picking choke cherries is easy, because they grow in big clusters and your bucket will fill up fast.
More definitions of chokecherryDefinition of chokecherry in:
- The British & World English dictionary