Definition of choline in English:
A strongly basic compound occurring widely in living tissues and important in the synthesis and transport of lipids.
- Chemical formula: HON(CH3)3CH2CH2OH
- Found in various forms throughout the body, choline, a member of the vitamin B complex family, is involved in the creation of cell membranes.
- Inside our bodies, the B vitamins folate and choline work in a delicate balance.
- Betaine is produced in the body by oxidation of choline, another trimethylated, methyl-donating compound.
Mid 19th century: coined in German from Greek kholē 'bile'.
Definition of choline in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.