- An enzyme, especially acetylcholinesterase, that hydrolyzes esters of choline.More example sentences
- Cholinesterase inhibitors, which reduce cholinesterase - the enzyme that breaks down acetylcholine - are the only FDA-approved treatment for Alzheimer's.
- By inhibiting cholinesterase, more acetylcholine is available for normal memory-related and cognitive functioning.
- In someone with Alzheimer's, cholinesterase breaks down and destroys acetylcholine, the neurotransmitter chemical.
More definitions of cholinesteraseDefinition of cholinesterase in:
- The British & World English dictionary