- A cactus with a cylindrical stem, native to Mexico and the southwestern US.
More example sentences
- Genus Cylindropuntia, family Cactaceae: several species, including the densely spiny teddy-bear cholla (C. bigelovii) and the treelike cane cholla (C. spinosior)
- The vegetation is a mix of grasses, annual herbs and isolated patches of mesquite, cholla, ephedra and yucca.
- Less than an hour west of Tucson, coasting down State Highway 86 before reaching Kitt Peak and the Baboquivari Mountains, a small hill rises from the cholla, saguaro, and mesquite dotting the landscape.
- Land plants include many cacti, the most spectacular of which are the saguaro, with its thick, armlike branches, and a number of large chollas, such as the tree cholla, the jumping cholla, and the cane cholla.
mid 19th century: Mexican Spanish use of Spanish cholla 'skull, head', of unknown origin.
More definitions of chollaDefinition of cholla in:
- The British & World English dictionary