noun (plural cholos)
1A Latin American with Indian blood; a mestizo.
- La Fabricia's conduct in public - that is, her refusal to interact with other cholos aside from El Saico - makes it apparent that something is going on between the two.
- The cholo challenged his oppression with gun in hand.
- Some interioranos grade imperceptibly into an acculturated native American population known pejoratively as cholos, who refer to themselves as naturales.
1.2US A teenage boy, especially in a Mexican-American community, who is a member of a street gang.
- Now he runs his own talent management and production company, Suspect Entertainment, hiring out himself and other reformed Hispanic - or cholo - gangsters to play the kind of roles they once had for real.
- The cholos baptized their clubs in Spanish, just because the banda was in vogue.
- The term cholo refers specifically to a member of a social group that is a contemporary extension of the pachuco.
Mid 19th century: American Spanish, from Cholollán (now Cholula), in Mexico.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.