Definition of chondrite in English:
A stony meteorite containing small mineral granules (chondrules).
- My research has largely been in the chemistry of how the particular components of chondrites, very primitive meteorites, actually formed in the solar nebula.
- If the impact object was a stony carbonaceous chondrite there would be silicates all over the impact site.
- Carbonaceous chondrites are representative of the early material of the solar system, very primitive material, so it's the closest we get to the stuff from which the solar system evolved.
- Example sentences
- For Toutatis, Ostro hopes to find a higher density, because if the density he finds is high enough, it would be possible to exclude chondritic compositions and say for sure that Toutatis is a stony-iron object.
- Planetary geologists, however, know little about the lower mantle of the Moon, so no one knows whether it is chondritic.
- The answer comes from a fourth line of evidence on the deep-Earth composition: cosmic abundances of the elements deduced from analyses of chondritic meteorites and the solar photosphere.
Definition of chondrite in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.