noun (plural chrestomathies)• formal
- A selection of passages from an author or authors, designed to help in learning a language.More example sentences
- Despite structural similarities between Orientalist chrestomathies and Westermarck's ethnography, the principles regulating their interpretation were not the same.
- I may quote more, and compare it to other chrestomathies if anyone's interested.
- This publication is most welcome since the chrestomathies of the twentieth century have long been out of print.
mid 19th century: from Greek khrēstomatheia, from khrēstos 'useful' + -matheia 'learning'.
More definitions of chrestomathyDefinition of chrestomathy in:
- The British & World English dictionary