- (Of ancient Greek sculpture) overlaid with gold and ivory.More example sentences
- In ancient Greek sculpture gold leaf might have been included in chryselephantine sculpture, as well as applied over an entire figure.
- A chryselephantine figure of Zeus sat on a jewel-encrusted throne carrying a small figure of Nike in his left hand, a scepter in his right.
- The intrinsic value of the materials employed predominates in the earlier model: the value of plate at an Athenian symposium, or the value of gold and ivory in the chryselephantine statues by Phidias.
early 19th century: from Greek khruselephantinos, from khrusos 'gold' + elephas, elephant- 'elephant' or 'ivory'.
More definitions of chryselephantineDefinition of chryselephantine in:
- The British & World English dictionary