Definition of chuck-will's-widow in English:
A large nightjar native to eastern North America.
- Caprimulgus carolinensis, family Caprimulgidae
- A large nightjar of the southeastern United States, the Chuck-will's-widow is well known for its continuous singing of its name at dusk.
- Chuck-will's-widows migrate in Texas from late March through early May and will initiate breeding soon after arriving on their breeding grounds.
- Only rarely are chuck-will's-widows found during the daytime; most records are for night-singing birds.
Late 18th century: imitative of its call.
Definition of chuck-will's-widow in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan