Definition of chuckle in English:
Laugh quietly or inwardly: I chuckled at the astonishment on her face [with direct speech]: “That’s a bit strong, isn’t it?” he chuckled
More example sentences
- The King's official looked at his clerk, and chuckled quietly, shaking his head.
- They must have also given me something else because I was suddenly very happy: chuckling away in manic fashion.
- I can almost picture Johnson chuckling to himself when he read this critique of his book.
noun[in singular] Back to top
late 16th century (in the sense 'laugh convulsively'): from chuck meaning 'to cluck' in late Middle English.
- Example sentences
- Every Saturday, a merry band of chucklers invites visitors to pack up their troubles and join in.
- This is yet another post-election chuckler, and another example of shaping the news.
- He is soft-spoken, a chuckler, who is of the supportive school of managers.