Definition of chuckle in English:
Laugh quietly or inwardly: I chuckled at the astonishment on her face [with direct speech]: “That’s a bit strong, isn’t it?” he chuckled
More example sentences
- The King's official looked at his clerk, and chuckled quietly, shaking his head.
- They must have also given me something else because I was suddenly very happy: chuckling away in manic fashion.
- I can almost picture Johnson chuckling to himself when he read this critique of his book.
noun[in singular] Back to top
late 16th century (in the sense 'laugh convulsively'): from chuck meaning 'to cluck' in late Middle English.
- Example sentences
- Every Saturday, a merry band of chucklers invites visitors to pack up their troubles and join in.
- This is yet another post-election chuckler, and another example of shaping the news.
- He is soft-spoken, a chuckler, who is of the supportive school of managers.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan