Definition of chuckwalla in English:
A large dark-bodied lizard, the male of which has a light yellow tail, native to the deserts of the southwestern US and Mexico. When threatened, it inflates itself with air to wedge itself into a crevice.
- Sauromalus obesus, family Iguanidae
- This variation makes Sonoran Desert chuckwallas ideal for investigating the relationship between population density and mating system structure.
- How do climate and vegetation interact to determine the distribution limits of the chuckwalla in the southwestern deserts of the United States and Mexico?
- In general there is little consistency at this low resolution between the distribution of various soil types and the presence of chuckwallas, suggesting that soil type may not be as important as the thermal environment.
Late 19th century: from Mexican Spanish chacahuala, from American Indian.
Definition of chuckwalla in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan