(also sweet cicely)
Definition of cicely in English:
noun (plural cicelies)
An aromatic white-flowered plant of the parsley family, with fernlike leaves.
- Genera Myrrhis and Osmorhiza, family Umbelliferae: several species, in particular the European M. odorata, grown as a pot herb and used in herbal medicine, and the North American O. claytoni
- The sweet cicely, which I have always had in the bed in front of the dining room, is in flower again.
- The root of sweet cicely can be boiled and eaten.
- One of the first herbs to appear in the spring, sweet cicely makes a becoming backdrop to a perennial border.
Late 16th century: from Latin seselis, from Greek. The spelling change was due to association with the given name Cicely.
Words that rhyme with cicelySicily
Definition of cicely in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.