Definition of ciliate in English:
A single-celled animal of a phylum distinguished by the possession of cilia or ciliary structures. The ciliates are a large and diverse group of advanced protozoans.
- Phylum Ciliophora, kingdom Protista (formerly class Ciliata, phylum Protozoa)
- Most ciliates cannot reproduce indefinitely by asexual fission, and eventually die out if prohibited from conjugating.
- Several of his images of ciliates are available; look under ‘Infusoria,’ an older name for the Ciliata.
- In the most recent classification of ciliates, the group is divided into eight classes.
adjectiveZoology Back to top
1(Of an organism, cell, or surface) bearing cilia.
- In the present study we were unable to observe cilia in any presumptive ciliate protozoan.
- Although their roles as parasitic castrators has been documented, relatively little is known about the biology of ciliate parasites in mayflies.
1.1 Botany (Of a margin) having a fringe of hairs.
- The species displays narrower leaves without a ciliate margin.
- Example sentences
- Most of the epithelial cells are ciliated, with microscopic ‘hairs’ that continuously sweep any surface material towards the larynx.
- Chemical irritants such as cigarette smoke or other environmental or industrial pollutants damage the ciliated cells.
- The examination revealed a ciliated form that was thought to represent a ciliated microorganism.
Words that rhyme with ciliateaffiliate, conciliate, humiliate
Definition of ciliate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.