A small piece of partly burned coal or wood that has stopped giving off flames but still has combustible matter in it.
- Two years ago, a couple claimed their child was burned by a flying cinder from a train.
- Firewalking refers to the activity of walking on hot coals, rocks or cinders without burning the soles of one's feet.
- She alone has the presence of mind to remove a burning cinder from a table full of explosives.
- Example sentences
- The waves pound the coast hard enough to send a tremor through the cindery sand.
- As the road snakes up and over the cindery shoulder of Lassen Peak, it climbs through conifer forests to lake-dotted meadows.
Words that rhyme with cinderBelinda, Cabinda, Clarinda, Dorinda, hinder, Kinder, Linda, Lucinda, Melinda, tinder
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of cinder in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.