Definition of cinematheque in English:
1A motion-picture library or archive.
- The National Archives, the National Library and individual cinematheques were doing preservation work, but it was all government-funded.
- From the early 1990s, the director campaigned to create a cinematheque on the site of the museum's car park.
- It's dredged up from the imaginary cinematheque of Maddin's own mind.
2A small movie theater, especially one that shows avant-garde or classic movies.
- I saw the film at the Film Forum, which is a kind of cinematheque with a hip, sophisticated young audience, downtown.
- A daily cinematheque showcases other films Conner selected, and in some cases re-edited, for this exhibition.
- I hope to get a small distributor and look forward to lots of festival, cinematheque and museum screenings with small but appreciative audiences.
1960s: from French cinémathèque, from cinéma 'cinema', on the pattern of bibliothèque 'library'.
Definition of cinematheque in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan