noun (plural cingula /-lə/)Anatomy
1A curved bundle of nerve fibers in each hemisphere of the brain.
- A large proportion of fibers in the cingulum traverse only relatively short segments of this rather compact bundle.
- Between the cingulum and the periphery of the specimen, note the mingling of short and long association fibers with projection and commissural fibers.
- Example sentences
- The scans showed that a part of the brain called the anterior cingulate cortex became more active.
- The regions associated with emotion, such as the insular cortex and parts of the anterior cingulate cortex, are not activated until the more mature phases of a relationship.
- Interestingly, the anterior cingulate cortex doesn't distinguish between psychic and bodily injury.
Mid 19th century: from Latin, 'belt', from cingere 'gird'.
Definition of cingulum in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.