Definition of cinnabar in English:
1A bright red mineral consisting of mercury sulfide. It is the only important ore of mercury and is sometimes used as a pigment.
- Allergy to tattoo pigment is rare, but reaction to cinnabar, the red pigment, is the most common.
- But, among what Ms. Moore lists as ‘poisonous’ pigments are cinnabar and realgar.
- Some of the oldest focus not on gold but on cinnabar, the red mineral mercury sulphide.
1.1The bright red color of this; vermilion: [as modifier]: the blood coagulated in cinnabar threads
More example sentences
- The yellow is paired with a brilliant, beautiful cinnabar red.
- The thick curly mass of her cinnabar hair hung heavily, almost to her waist when wet.
- The white plaster dust had been washed out of his hair and now his rich cinnabar mane shone.
Definition of cinnabar in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.