Definition of cinnabar in English:
1A bright red mineral consisting of mercury sulfide. It is the only important ore of mercury and is sometimes used as a pigment.
- Allergy to tattoo pigment is rare, but reaction to cinnabar, the red pigment, is the most common.
- But, among what Ms. Moore lists as ‘poisonous’ pigments are cinnabar and realgar.
- Some of the oldest focus not on gold but on cinnabar, the red mineral mercury sulphide.
1.1The bright red color of this; vermilion: [as modifier]: the blood coagulated in cinnabar threads
More example sentences
- The yellow is paired with a brilliant, beautiful cinnabar red.
- The thick curly mass of her cinnabar hair hung heavily, almost to her waist when wet.
- The white plaster dust had been washed out of his hair and now his rich cinnabar mane shone.
Definition of cinnabar in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia