Definition of cinnamon in English:
1An aromatic spice made from the peeled, dried, and rolled bark of a Southeast Asian tree.
- The spices used were ground cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, clove, and cardamom, along with tea leaves.
- For the spiced cakes, I added a bit of ground cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, cardamom, and ginger, along with a minced chili pepper.
- Pilau is a delicious dish of rice spiced with curry, cinnamon, cumin, hot peppers, and cloves.
1.1A reddish- or yellowish-brown color resembling that of cinnamon.
- Sally deduced that the colours Jane should be wearing were light colours with some warmth, such as peach, beige, caramel, cinnamon, and apricot.
- His shoulders and chest were covered in cinnamon coloured freckles.
- The huge cinnamon and gold suite next door features a grand piano.
2 (also cinnamon tree) The tree which yields cinnamon.
- Genus Cinnamomum, family Lauraceae: several species, in particular C. zeylanicum, native to southern India and Sri Lanka
- A Daoist tradition in China holds that the source of immortality, or at least long life, is the cinnamon tree in the moon, a tree that no amount of chopping can fell.
Words that rhyme with cinnamonSolomon • trawlerman
Definition of cinnamon in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia