Definition of cinquefoil in English:
1A widely distributed herbaceous plant of the rose family, with compound leaves of five leaflets and five-petaled yellow flowers.
- Genus Potentilla, family Rosaceae: numerous species, including the small-flowered creeping common cinquefoil (P. simplex) and the larger-flowered erect rough-fruited cinquefoil (P. recta)
- One of these plants, Robbins' cinquefoil or dwarf cinquefoil, has been proposed for removal from the federal endangered species list.
- If you have a toothache or mouth sore, you might try cinquefoil, a native plant.
- Deciduous cinquefoil has long been used for borders and ground covers in cold-climate gardens.
Middle English: from Latin quinquefolium, from quinque 'five' + folium 'leaf'.
Definition of cinquefoil in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan