Definition of circumflex in English:
noun(also circumflex accent)
A mark (^) placed over a vowel in some languages to indicate contraction, length, or pitch or tone.
- The evidence is that originally the German keyboard produced circumflexes instead of umlauts but it was replaced by an English keyboard.
- The French have had a crack at reforming plurals and circumflexes.
- Some speakers would give these words the circumflex, but it would be the rising circumflex, so that the sound would still terminate with the rising inflection.
adjectiveAnatomy Back to top
Bending around something else; curved: circumflex coronary arteries
More example sentences
- 4 left circumflex coronary arteries were affected.
- The left circumflex coronary artery showed severe calcific atherosclerosis.
- Although there is great individual variation, most people have three major coronary arteries: the right coronary artery, left anterior descending branch and left circumflex branch.
Definition of circumflex in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan