- 1 Archaeology An ancient coffin or burial chamber made from stone or a hollowed tree.More example sentences
- He pointed at long flat slabs resting on stone kists.
- Some bodies were laid out straight, some crouched; some in stone cists, others in hollows in the rubble.
- Excavations revealed a sarsen stone cist containing a cremation burial accompanied by a bronze awl and a jet pendant.
early 19th century: from Latin cista, from Greek kistē 'basket'; sense 1 via Welsh.
More definitions of cistDefinition of cist in:
- The British & World English dictionary