- 1.1The fruit of the citron tree.More example sentences
- For most of us, the word ‘citrus’ conjures up images of oranges, grapefruits, lemons, limes - and possibly citrons or blood oranges, if you're a true connoisseur of fruit.
- The citron was the first citrus fruit to reach Europe, which is why the whole group of fruits is called after one of its less important members.
- Ignoring citron tart and chocolate orange cake, sticky toffee pudding would be just fine but there was none left.
early 16th century (denoting the fruit): from French, from Latin citrus 'citron tree', on the pattern of limon 'lemon'.
More definitions of citronDefinition of citron in:
- The British & World English dictionary