noun(also civet cat)
- 1A slender nocturnal carnivorous mammal with a barred and spotted coat and well-developed anal scent glands, native to Africa and Asia.
More example sentences
- Family Viverridae (the civet family): several genera and species, in particular the African civet (Viverra civetta). The civet family also includes the genets, linsang, and fossa, and formerly included the mongooses
- The main suspect to date is the civet cat, a cat-like mammal closely related to the mongoose.
- This includes the civet cat which is known to be a carrier of the disease.
- So it's not a virus that every Himalayan palm civet has always had and is chronically infected with.
- 1.1A strong musky perfume obtained from the secretions of the civet’s scent glands.More example sentences
- During the Renaissances strong scents of animal origin, including musk, civet and ambergris, were popular, but by the late 18th century these were consider too strong, too beastly.
- The secretion of these glands, called civet, is used as a perfume base and medicine..
- Theatre became less serious and more sensational; the great national concerns gave way to domestic intrigue; the smell of cowslips and violets to musk and civet, if not in reality then in the imagery of the plays.
- 2 another term for cacomistle.
mid 16th century: from French civette, from Italian zibetto, from medieval Latin zibethum, from Arabic zabād, denoting the perfume.
More definitions of civetDefinition of civet in:
- The British & World English dictionary