Awareness of one’s place in a system of social classes, especially (in Marxist terms) as it relates to the class struggle.
- The 1917 Russian Revolution can be explained far better by reference to the societal disruption caused by the First World War than to a theory of working class consciousness and historical inevitability.
- Anyone who believes that this will happen by cumulative single defections from their camp to that of the far left simply has no understanding about how working class consciousness develops as a process and over time.
- For example, how might this context of restructuring shape or hinder working class consciousness for the purpose of transforming industry?
- Example sentences
- Political structures explain the absence of significant third or minor parties in America, but they do not account for the absence of social democratic and leftist class-conscious groups as political forces.
- They sprang up during the period of the anti-socialist law as a ‘cover’ for socialist organization and to provide the battle-hymns for the class-conscious workers' army.
- As his most class-conscious novel, Bleak House, suggests, the social hierarchies of the capital did not consist merely of a sharp contrast between the rich and the poor or between haves and have-nots.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: class con·scious·ness
Definition of class consciousness in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.