Definition of classicist in English:
1A person who studies Classics (ancient Greek and Latin).
- Even writers who wanted to be thought of as classicists usually needed a Latin crib to help them through Greek poetry in this period.
- But she did ask that we not describe her as a classicist (she studied classics) but now works in another field.
- He advises folklorists to look back to ancient literature and classicists to look forward to folklore methods.
2A follower of classicism in the arts.
- He uses an architectural framework, as classicists do, to anchor the contents of the picture to the given horizontal and vertical of the support.
- In another era, he would have been a strict classicist; as a young man in the early years of the twentieth century, he found his characteristic imagery in the logic of industrial America - its machine dreams.
- A homegrown classicist, he presented an idealized side of desire that the ancient Greeks would have understood.
Words that rhyme with classicistneoclassicist
Definition of classicist in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan