1The action or process of classifying something according to shared qualities or characteristics: the classification of disease according to symptoms
More example sentences
- No single classification scheme for bronchiolar diseases has been widely accepted.
- Does this represent a revolution in classification processes?
- More importantly, this classification process enables us to begin to understand the value of our data.
categorization, categorizing, classifying, grouping, grading, ranking, organization, sorting, codification, systematization
1.1 another term for taxonomy.
- Recent rapid advances in molecular systematics have shaken the fundamental bases of fungus classification.
- Early debate about their classification arose from their unusual mixture of morphologic characters.
- The previous classification of wagtails clearly conflicts with the mtDNA divisions.
1.2A category into which something is put.
- You are not bound, of course, to accept the categories or classifications.
- Several classifications are used to categorize individual apple trees.
- There were types and classifications of trash, and each had to be handled in its special way.
category, class, group, grouping, grade, grading, ranking
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.